I made a baker’s dozen dozen cookies (yes, 156 cookies) on Thursday & 6qt of soup today, all for others. That’s probably the thing I miss most about cooking professionally. You never knew if a meal was a celebration, a respite, or one marked by grief. I just hoped my plate would bring a moment of what they most needed.

Making Progress on Jekyll-IndieWeb v2

I’ve been working on v2 of Jekyll-indieweb and the main change is that its a gem based theme. What was holding me back for a long time was that only whitelisted theme gems were allowed on GitHub Pages, with no clear path to how a theme could get whitelisted. Then I found Jekyll Remote Theme from @benbalter. I hadn’t actually tested it, but I went on faith. Lo and behold today I was successfully able to set up a new gh-pages project by using the public repo of jekyll-indieweb.

There are plently of bug fixes and tweaks and most importantly, documentation before an official release. But to get there faster, I’ll be quickly switching over to blogging at michaelbishop.me which will be running on GitHub Pages.

I intend to fully document how to have a complete IndieWeb site running with the different microservices and a GitHub Pages hosted Jekyll site. I now believe a lot of it can be done without complicated CI tools as I’ve done in the past, but it will be a fun journey.

From there I want to explore using the templates with Eleventy as planned. Though I thought I was going to jump right into Elventy for my own site, I ran into some configuration headaches and went with the more familiar tool.

WordPress isn’t on the current roadmap but at some point I’d like to circle back & look at Gutenberg blocks. WIth the recent release of Advanced Custom Fields, I think you could use the existing table structure for post kinds and re-create the kinds as blocks without having to Learn the New Way™ ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, this will probably one of the last ever posts on miklb.com which feels a little weird to type. But onward…

As always, progress can be tracked in the repo. All suggestions welcome.

OK, this is where I go off Twitter for a while as I’ll be 3 episodes behind and I’ve somehow managed to avoid any spoilers to this point, not going to jinx it.

It was majestic alone among the mangroves today.

The only 2 things I really used in LESS & Sass were includes and variables. So when I discovered a basic PostCSS workflow that lets you write blue=var(--primary2dark) in a variables file and then include all the CSS files you want, I was pretty pleased. A couple of other extensions for optimizing all wrapped in a Gulp task. It’s made writing CSS fun because I don’t have to think about browser support and can just focus on really learning css-grid and flexbox (with subgrid on the horizon). Anyway, if you haven’t checked it out, I recommend it. Here’s the current gulpfile.js I cobbled together. I’ll admit a couple of the plugins I’m not sure I’m using yet. I intend to do an audit once I’m happy with the base style and markup.

Feeling a little desperate so I did a thing https://www.patreon.com/miklb

But I’m really horrible at self-marketing so it will probably fail but I have to figure something out soon.

I probably would be better off with a one time thing vs long term support so I’m open to suggestions.

WIth the new package registry news from @GitHub I wonder how hosted gems will play into the GitHub Pages ecosystem. There is a small whitelist of plugins that can be used & you can use a theme gem now if it’s a public repo. Would be nice of plugins are the same.

Not sure if this will help anyone but after the latest update to MiFit iOS app, I couldn’t connect the band. No luck with suggested troubleshooting. Deleting the app and and re-installing did the trick. I’m ready for an Apple Watch though.

Went to find some new music to listen to while finishing some tasks and first song on the Apple mix is Bill Janovitz covering Lodi and it’s perfect. Only got to see Buffalo Tom once, but it was an epic night with Yo La Tengo & My Bloody Valentine.

Instead of rubber ducking, I’m writing it out here…

I’m trying to modify @benbalter’s WordPress Jekyll Export plugin to extract serialzed data from post_meta values. It seems most (all?) of the IndieWeb WordPress plugins use serialized values so it’s necessary to migrate. Otherwise I wind up with YAML that looks like this

mf2_syndication:
  - 'a:1:{i:0;s:52:"https://twitter.com/miklb/status/1116855596970651650";}'
geo_weather:
  - 'a:2:{s:4:"icon";s:4:"none";s:10:"visibility";s:6:"public";}

The chunk of code that handles that

// Convert traditional post_meta values, hide hidden values.
        foreach ( get_post_custom( $post->ID ) as $key => $value ) {

            if ( substr( $key, 0, 1 ) === '_' ) {
                continue;
            }

            $output[ $key ] = $value;

        }

What I need to do is unserialize $value and if it’s an array, loop through them and nest the values for each $key.

to get something like

mf2_syndication: https://twitter.com/miklb/status/1116855596970651650

geo_weather:
    - icon: none
       visibility: public

But my first step is to unravel the serialized $value. I’ve tried just adding $output[ $key ] = maybe_unserialize ($value ); and that didn’t work like the magic bullet I’d hoped.

🤔