A last minute entry into freemacware.com’s contest, listing your 5 most favored freeware apps. Their list is quite extensive, and I’ve found several apps I didn’t know about, but for the most part, these are the ones I use day in and day out. (I can’t say these are in any particular order)
- Cyberduck – a super great FTP client, that works hand in hand with several text editors and CSS Edit to allow editing files directly on the server
- Smultron – my text editor of choice. As noted, it works flawlessly with Cyberduck
- Growl – A sytem wide notification app, that works with numerous apps, including cyberduck to notify you when a file’s been up/down loaded, in itunes when a new song plays, can set up a gmail or mail notifier, and numerous other apps all with an unobtrusive faded in box in the upper right corner
- Adium – my IM app of choice. I don’t do IM with a lot of different people, however, I do a lot of work with people all of the world, so having AOL, yahoo and gtalk all in the same app makes it quite easy to connect with a client in their IM of choice
- VooDoo Pad lite – A fantastic note app, that works like a little wiki right on your desktop. I really love how I can make a table of contents type page, and then create “links” to new pages. I can really simply, and quickly organize a project this way. Also supports drag and drop functionality too, so I can drag an image to a page, a link generally anything. I’ve seriously thought about purchasing the “pro” version, or what ever they call it, simply because I use the app so much.
Some other apps I use/recommend are obviously firefox, as well as vienna and flickr export an iphoto plugin that allows quick and easy sharing of your photos via flickr.
If I’ve missed a great app, I’d love to know about it.